While we’re here to help you with any challenges you may have with your skin on the outside (and we’re super passionate about it!), we also know that there are some skin problems that start on the inside.
Proper nutrition and hydration can go a long way towards healthy, glowing skin, so today we have a really simple and delicious smoothie recipe for spring!
This smoothie comes together in just a few minutes, and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand in your kitchen. It’s packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin A and antioxidants, and it’s so pretty! The perfect shade of spring green.
Here are the ingredients and their health benefits:
- Bananas are rich in antioxidants, and using them here, in a frozen state, gives your smoothie that rich and creamy texture. I bring my bananas home, peel them, chunk them up, and freeze them on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Once they are frozen, I toss them into a zip-top bag and then just grab a handful every day to throw in my smoothies.
- Pineapples are high in Vitamin C, which is essential in the production of collagen. They also contain an enzyme called bromelain, which aids in digestion.
- Spinach is high in Vitamin A, which is a vitamin our skin requires for repair and growth. It helps to keep our skin hydrated, which, in turn, reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Spinach also has Vitamin C.
- Coconut Milk is a good source of healthy fats, it’s also an excellent hydrator.
- Matcha is green tea, which is packed with antioxidants. It’s known for detoxifying and drawing out impurities, and its high chlorophyll content helps reduce inflammation and redness. Antioxidants also help to prevent free radical damage from the sun’s UV rays (which we know is one of the top ways our skin ages and wrinkles).
If you want to take your smoothie to the next level, here are a couple of additional ingredients you can add:
- A collagen supplement (read more about a dermatologist’s view on collagen here)
- A scoop of protein powder to help keep you full longer, and protein is essential for building healthy skin.
- A tablespoon of either chia seeds or hemp hearts: both have omega fatty acids, protein and anti-oxidants.
Glowing Skin Smoothie (makes 1 serving)
- 1 banana, chopped into pieces and frozen (about 1 cup or 250 ml)
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped fresh pineapple
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh spinach
- ½ cup (125 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) matcha powder
Toss all ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!